The Fall waiver period is 5/10/2020 – 9/4/2020.
University of Northern Colorado 2020-2021 Academic Year
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS WAIVER
All international students are automatically enrolled in UNC Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). In addition to the student, spouse and children are required to have health insurance. You may choose to waive or enroll the Student Health Insurance Plan. If you chose to waive, you must be covered by a policy from your home country or from a company. Students who wish to waive must provide proof of insurance in English.
If waivers are not completed prior to the deadline, you will automatically be enrolled in the UNC Student Health Insurance Plan. Please be advised that the waiver request will be reviewed and verified active with the insurance carrier. Notification of acceptance or rejection of waiver requests will be sent to students’ SAIC email addresses within seven business days.
The plan must be a US-based plan (or university approved plan), compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA), equivalent to the UNC SHIP plan:
- Coverage must begin on or before the first day of the academic term in which the student is enrolled and extend through the entire term
- The plan must include both accident and sickness coverage and offer unlimited annual benefit
- The plan deductible must be $500 or less per year
- The plan must have a out-of-pocket cost of $6,350 or less per year
- The plan must include medical evacuation coverage of at least $50,000
- The plan must include repatriation coverage of at least $25,000
- The plan must have co-insurance of 20% or less
- The plan must include preventative services with no deductible or co-pay
- The plan must also include:
- Outpatient and inpatient emotional and mental health services
- Outpatient substance abuse treatment
- Prescription drug coverage
- X-rays and Lab testing
- Ambulance coverage
- Annual exams, standard immunizations, and contraceptives covered with NO copay
- Doctor's visits
- Durable medical equipment
If your plan does not meet the above requirements, you will be auto enrolled in the UNC Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
NOTE: Individual plans, travel plans, or plans that require you to pay for treatment yourself and then apply for reimbursement will NOT be accepted by UNC for waiver approval.